Thursday, December 16, 2010

Kelly's picks for Holiday Books- a view askew

Two of my favorite holiday books have come from the wickedly clever mind of Lemony Snicket.

The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming: A Christmas Story



 I LUV it! We are a catholic/jewish blend- "Cathews"- we call ourselves. (Say it with a lisp a la Sylvester the cat- sounds like cashews)
 This book fits us better than custom made Christmas stockings. Best when read by the husband (the jewish boy)- adding an appropriate Jackie Mason voice to the latke. This book is so perfectly out of left field. The humor slaps you in the face.- If you haven't read it , I won't spoil the ending.(mmm latkes are good eatin' !)

The Lump of Coal




So- I thought Mr. Snicket had created holiday subversive perfection with the latke dude- and then... the Coal dude.
Confession: I received a lump of coal @ 7 years old. I did. I'm not proud of it. (OK! I AM!) Prouder to learn that the coal dude's journey into my stocking included a career in the fine art world. It's a book about finding yourself (I know, DEEP, right?)

Both of these are perfect stocking stuffer size. I hope you all add a little acid to the holiday sweetness and pick them up.- Holly Jolly!

No comments:

Post a Comment