Thursday, July 3, 2014

Happy 'I Forgot' Day and Happy Fourth!

Yesterday was I Forgot Day.
Here's the quick sketch for a Ben-Ben style sheet I developed two weeks ago for the Kids Read Comics con in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Why do illustrators and cartoonists use style sheets for their characters? So they don't forget important details when drawing their character, and so the characters are consistent throughout a book.
I meant to bring this for the kids at my drawing session at the comic con, to maybe give them some ideas for their own characters. But, ahem, I forgot. Instead I just had a stack on my table in Artist Alley. I didn't bring many back home with me, so apparently lots of kids remembered to pick one up.

Tomorrow is the fourth of July, a major holiday here in the US. My family will spend it with a big group at my friend's birthday party (born the same day as our country -- cool. Different year, though.) and then we'll all go see the fireworks at the park. Two family members who will NOT enjoy the festivities:


This is Clarence and Hammy, my two dogs. Before we go to the party I'll stash their beds in a quiet, dark corner of my studio and I'll close the window and put on the radio so they barely hear the fireworks and firecrackers going off in the street. They really, really dislike fireworks. They love music, though.

This character loves both fireworks and music. I just discovered her last week. 
She's in one of the books I've been working on. 


I think she's unforgettable.


-- Ruth McNally Barshaw

No comments:

Post a Comment