Friday, August 27, 2010

The "Joy" of walking to school!

My whole pre-college, educational "career" I always walked to school. All three institutions, Elementary, Middle and Highschool! Luckily we lived really close and I had good friends to travel with.  It was always a nice way to start the day, even though it was hecka early!

I'll always remember the excited yet nervous feeling that first day back. Seeing classmates again that you haven't seen all Summer. The new supplies you get to break in. Thinking how you're older now and just can't wait to grow up.

It's the first day of school for these two. Both are excited, but I think one is looking forward more than the other. The Wiener dog is home awaiting their return at the end of the day.

This is just my usual mechanical pencil with 0.7 HB lead drawn in my sketchbook. What can I say, nothing too fancy.

Thanks for stopping by and for any comments!

- Joy

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely evocative sketch, I'm lucky enough to walk both my daughters to primary school each morning, and you've captured their feelings brilliantly (in sketch and words)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We walk to school- and we love it- when the kid is not running late- then it's a mad dash and a 2 minute car ride that always feels ridiculous!- I remember loving the first day walk to school cause you saw son many friends you didn't see all summer- you have captured that!-great sketch Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the way you sketch kids, they are so smooshably adorable! The pigtails and teddy bear backpack are nice touches, too. You did a great job of expressing the excitement of that first day back. She looks like she's ready for a big adventure, he looks like he can't wait to meet up with his buddies. :)

    Except for 4th and 5th grade, where we lived close enough for me to ride my bike to school, I've had to ride the bus to school. Bleah. I would have preferred to walk! I hope to do that w/ my little ones. We're around the corner from the elementary school-yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love the teddy bear backpack! Your sweetness really shines through in your art, Joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, a really fun image. I too remember so well how it felt walking to and from school each day. I was definitely one of those walking everyday to school, just until Senior year in High School when I had a car. Your sketch brings it all back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We get to do our walk to school on Tuesday. I think you've captured the feeling really well. That little girl's expression is classic! Yup, this year both my kiddies will be in school for the whole day. I'll probably be crying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun feeling in this! my favorite part of this sketch is her skipping, not walking = SO wonderful and truly child-like. Love that teddy bear backpack, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I love the movement and happy expressions. Wonderful work Joy!

    ReplyDelete