Friday, July 16, 2010

Joy • What I like to do at the Zoo


Heather's post about Sketchcrawl reminded me of one of my favorite things to do, go to the zoo and draw!

In my college animation program we were assigned to draw 100 animals a week for an entire semester. Well, we were expected to always draw, but anywhoo... At the time I thought it was insane. We had other classes and soooo much else to do in that class. The 100 drawings also had to be designed on 8 1/2" x 11" sheets of paper, Xeroxed and hung on the wall for critique. Looking back now, I appreciate the task, otherwise I probably wouldn't have learned how to draw as well. Practice, practice, practice, right?!!

I've tried to go to the zoo still when I can and luckily have a husband and friends who enjoy drawing there as well. I added to my sketches above just some of the tools I use. I love my water brush to add subtle washes to the ink sketches. Sometimes I add color for fun details (ie. Baboon butts).

Where do you like to sketch? Thanks for any comments and for stopping by The Sketchables!!

7 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! Esp. the baboons, of course. The zoo is one of my favorite places to sketch (lemurs & patas monkeys!), but since its a long (hot) drive, the birdfeeder is my current animal sketching spot...not quite as exotic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so full of life Joy. I love the idea of drawing 100 of something - that has me gears turning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wooh these are great, so much life. You have given each animal a personality.

    Agree, practice, practice, practice! Thanks for the inspiration and homework idea. Going to go fill up some 8.5 x 11 with 100s of animals.

    water brushes are the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent idea! I don't have any zoos within reach so I'll have to use photos but that's better than nothing, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy- these are fabulous! Last summer- my daughter did the 1 week camp at the Bronx Zoo. I chauffeured her each day -and stayed I called it my week of intensive animals drawing. There is nothing better.I wish we could go together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful page! Those pink baboon butts are quite charming, LOL. I wish I had an assignment like that in school to create a better habit with sketching. Zoos really are inspiring (and challenging!) places to work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great animal drawings. This really makes me want to get over to the zoo soon and draw.

    ReplyDelete